The Student Council 2018-2019
We are a group of eleven elected students who work as a team to improve the College community and represent you to Hills Road’s management and outside observers.
Below are some important points we’d like you to read about regarding who we are, what we do, and what you can do for us.
- One of the main roles as a council is to organise the Hills Road student events. We’ll tell you more about these when you start!
- We provide funding for arts and music performances, and the popular HR charity run. We also accept applications for grants and loans from fellow students. If you have a project you think could benefit the college community, we would be happy to review it to see whether we can give our support.
- We will be regularly updating you through our Facebook page, our twitter page @officialhrsfc, our Instagram page hrsfccouncil and through our website www.myhrsfc.co.uk on policies, events and college news generally. Have a look and see what’s going on.
- We have set up subcommittees that support the organisation of finance, events, environment, charities and media. Being a member of a subcommittee means helping the college community and getting CV-worthy experience in your chosen field without running in an election, as the system for application is interview based. I would strongly encourage you to apply to be in one of these subcommittees when vacancies are advertised, as they are a great way to get more involved in different aspects of college life.
- We are affiliated with the National Union of Students. Purchasing an NUS card will give you access to a huge variety of discounts, so it’s definitely worth looking into. At a time when so many drastic and contentious changes are being made to our education system, being part of a union and having our voices heard is very important! An NUS Card only costs £12 for a whole year!
- There are many societies at Hills Road and we encourage you to visit our Freshers’ Societies Fair to come and see if there are any you’d like to join.
- We take your welfare very seriously and have a designated officer who deals with any issues to do with equality and diversity. This welfare officer will always be available to listen to any complaints or problems you have, and if they can’t help you themselves they will be glad to put you into contact with someone who can. Our welfare officer leads ‘Amigos’, which is a student-led organisation that exists to help fellow students with any problems they may be having. This year will see a shift towards an anonymous online Amigos system - look out for more information about this in the coming months.
- We hold a general meeting every half term that allows you to express your thoughts and concerns to us. When you arrive your tutor group will elect representatives to attend these meetings. The meetings are open for anyone to attend in addition, so please feel free to do so.
- Our email address is StudentCouncil@hillsroad.ac.uk if you would like to contact us at any point in the year.
As we must have money to fund social events and invest in council policies and various projects we need you to pay a £10 subscription
to the Student Council fund. We expect a contribution from each student
, ideally by the first week of September if possible. This covers you for both years so is exceptional value! We can’t try out any of the new ideas we have or set up great events without this money, so we need it from you!
Your parent/guardian will be sent an email explaining the process to contribute this money. Although payment will be made through parents, please remind them to make the payment and reimburse them afterwards!
If your financial circumstances make payment difficult, please do not hesitate to contact The Bursary Fund Team on 01223 247251 ext 1499, in confidence, to discuss the matter.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions, and please like our Facebook page and make sure you pay the £10 contribution
to ensure we can keep in contact and continue our work on your behalf. I and other Council members are looking forward to the rest of our time as your Student Council, and I can promise we will do our best to represent and support you and the college community.
Thank you for your time,
Student Council Chair & College Governor KG128480@hillsroad.ac.uk
01223 247251 Ext. 1320