Why choose Spanish?
If you dream of speaking a foreign language fluently and impressively and perhaps even working abroad, studying a language will bring this ambition within your grasp and it will equip you with a variety of unique skills that will be invaluable in the future. You will become a more knowledgeable and informed person and debates and discussions in the classroom will give you a broad perspective on a wide range of issues and topics. You will also gain in-depth knowledge of Spain and Spanish speaking countries. Topics include: media, popular culture, relationships and family, healthy living and lifestyle, current social issues, multicultural society, and the environment. There are native Foreign Language Assistants working in the Modern Languages department who are available to help and support you with small group conversation work. We run a peer mentoring scheme and there will be the opportunity for you to take part in an exchange link to Spain.
If you want a mix of activities in lessons and an intellectually stimulating course with a strong practical application, you will enjoy studying Spanish. You will be amazed at the progress you can make. Experience the freedom and thrill of stepping into another culture!
This course involves:
- Lots of pair and small-group speaking practice in lessons
- A weekly conversation class in a small group with a Foreign Language Assistant
- Working in the language lab at a pace to suit you
- Writing in different styles
- Reading newspaper and magazine articles
- Watching films and the daily news
- Debating contemporary topics and social issues
- Researching on the internet
- Choosing from a huge range of resources to practise your skills and extend your interests at your own pace
- Reading and discussing literature in short extracts (AS) and texts (A2).