Why choose Maths with Mechanics/Statistics?
The traditional Maths course at advanced level gives students the essential tools required to study and understand abstract ideas in a wide range of contexts. Students enjoy its challenge, its clarity, and the fact that you know when you are right. The solution of a problem has an excitement and a satisfaction. We offer two routes to this qualification through the choice of applied Maths modules. Mechanics builds on Newtonian ideas of motion and forces and is strongly linked to Physics. Statistics allows us to make sense of the world around us through data analysis.
We offer the following AQA courses in Year 12:
1. Mathematics with Mechanics
2. Mathematics with Statistics
3. Use of Mathematics
4. Double Mathematics
Further details of these courses can be found by opening the Open Evening Document Link below.
- Maths is a facilitating subject for Maths and Science based degree courses.
- Entirely assessed through module examinations (no coursework).
- Maths is good training for the mind, helping to develop logical thinking and problem-solving skills – the kind of analytical processes that have helped solve problems of all kinds for thousands of years.
- A focus on the abstract, linking algebra with geometry, rather than real world application.
- Statistics students are strongly encouraged to use a graphical calculator.
- Four lessons per week.